Monthly Archives: February 2015

  • 0

Motor traders are making the most of our new online service

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

On 20 January 2015, we released our latest new digital services ‘Selling a vehicle into the motor trade’. This allows motor traders to notify us online and in real time that a vehicle has been passed or part exchanged to them. The service has seen a dramatic increase in take up, week on week, since going live as the shift to digital transactions over paper becomes more popular.

Those using the service receive instant confirmation that we’ve updated their records. This gives the keeper peace of mind that their liability for the vehicle has stopped, which provides an excellent customer experience.

If there are any remaining periods of vehicle tax then the refund is calculated from the date the application is submitted online and an automatic refund is issued. Similarly, if there’s a Direct Debit in place for vehicle tax it’ll be cancelled from that day.

The motor trade will also reap the additional benefits of administrative and postage savings by not having to send the V5C/3 yellow slips to us.

The majority of feedback we’ve had  from the motor trade who’ve used the service is that it’s quick and easy to use, more convenient and is saving money on the costs incurred by sending hundreds of V5C/3 disposal notifications to DVLA by post every week. It’s also increased the quality of their customer service, as they’re able to help their customers deal with paperwork with DVLA and get refunds of remaining tax more quickly.

Customers are also impressed with the instant confirmation they get at the point of part exchange that they’ve  been removed from our records as the keeper.

Anyone in the motor trade not using the service can start doing so today and start making the most of the many benefits that the service has to offer. There’s no need to register with us, the service can be accessed on GOV.UK and is available Monday to Saturday 8am to 6pm.

Start using the service

Source: DVLA Blog News

Dvla Contact Number Call (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 515 8104

  • 0

V5C On Demand for fleets

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

As part of DVLA’s Transformation of online services, we’re developing a V5C on Demand service. This delivers against the government’s Red Tape Challenge. This means that the V5C registration document can be suppressed, and requested on demand when one is needed.

Who can use the service?

Companies on the DVLA Fleet Scheme will have the opportunity to ‘opt into’ the V5C on Demand service, and to access the View Vehicle Record (VVR) enquiry service. The V5C on demand service will be available through VVR which will also provide information on vehicles in their fleet.

The design and development of both VVR and V5C on Demand services has been in conjunction with the fleet industry. We’ve held extensive usability testing and engagement sessions to make sure the services are developed to meet the needs of the fleet customers.

What are the benefits of ‘opting in’ to the V5C on Demand service?

Opting in to this service means that from April 2015 DVLA fleet companies will:

  • not receive a V5C for any newly registered vehicles for their fleet (the paper V5C will be suppressed)
  • reduce the amount of paper documents stored and administered, possibly to zero within 3 years (depending on how often new vehicles are purchased)
  • potentially reduce costs for fleet companies ‘opting in’ as a result of a reduction in administrative burden and storage costs

Changes to vehicle details on the current stock of a company’s V5C’s e.g. change of company name/address, will also be incorporated into the ‘opt in’ of V5C suppression service.

When will the service be available?

The VVR enquiry service which will enable V5C on Demand service will be available in March. The V5C on Demand service will be released into public beta at the end of March 2015.

Next steps

If you want to know more about the V5C on Demand service and to help us manage the transition onto the service, please register your interest via this email address:

Source: DVLA Blog News

Dvla Contact Number Call (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 515 8104

  • 2

Vehicle Taxation

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

Dealing with vehicle tax is one of the main things that the DVLA deal with – and is responsible for a huge amount of their workload. Although there are outside places that deal with some of the process (as detailed below), the bulk of the administration is done by their team at DVLA Swansea. As you are likely aware, vehicle tax discs must be renewed once a year – however, payments can be divided into 6-month blocks or monthly direct debit amounts of desired.

Renewals can be done quickly and conveniently online. You will need to have relevant documentation to hand prior to your online renewal, this includes the:

  • 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11)
  • 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C)
  • 12 digit reference number. If you have recently bought a vehicle you will require the  (V5C/2) supplement

The entire process can be done by simply heading to the official tax disc site here. Renewing your vehicle tax at a participating post office requires the following details prior to processing:

  • A V11 reminder (completed) or a V5C
  • The payment amount (shown on the taxation reminder)
  • A valid (in date) MOT certificate is sometimes requested

Those who are renewing at a Post Office in Northern Ireland will also need to present a cover note or insurance certificate. Renewals can be completed by phone or text phone – lines are available from 8am until 4.30pm on a Monday to Friday. More information about how you can sort out of your vehicle tax at your local Post office can be found at their official site here.

Which Vehicles are Exempt from Taxation?

Despite vehicle taxation being a legal stipulation, there are some vehicles which are exempt (in specific circumstances) from having to pay, these include:

  • Vehicles used by a disabled person
  • Disabled passenger vehicles
  • Mobility scooters, powered wheel chairs and invalid carriages
  • Historic vehicles
  • Electric vehicles
  • Mowing machines
  • Steam vehicles
  • Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

Remember, even if you have a vehicle which is listed as exempt from tax, you still have to apply for taxation.

Taxation Tables – how much are you likely to pay?

The amount of vehicle tax payable depends on two things, we have highlighted the general rule enabling you to ascertain which category you are likely to fall in to.

Cars registered before March 1st 2001

Taxation on these cars and light vehicles depends on engine size, as follows:

Engine Size12 Months6 Months
Under 1549cc£145.00£79.75
Over 1549cc£230.00£126.50

Cars registered after March 1st 2001

Taxation on these cars and light vehicles relies on fuel type and emission amount – you will find an up-to-date price table at Once online you will also discover information regarding the full range of amounts payable various vehicle types and for ‘trade licences’.

Applying for a SORN

If you are not intending to drive or park your vehicle on public roads or spaces, you will need to apply for a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Please note that you will need all relevant Vehicle Taxdocumentation to hand prior to contacting the DVLA.

A SORN can be applied for online, by phone or in writing – failure to have a valid SORN when necessary can result in a £80 fine and the immediate demand for tax (including any taxation in arrears). In addition, there is the possibility of a £1000 fine and prosecution.

For more information about SORN, we have written a full overview of the scheme which is available to view here.

Contacting the DVLA

If you can’t find the information you are looking for online or would prefer to speak to a member of the DVLA Customer Service team, please call the number provided – lines are open from 8.00am until 4.30pm on a Monday to Friday.

  • 0

Vehicle Registration

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

As you are probably aware, brand new cars bought from dealerships are typically registered and taxed for the purchaser, however this must never be taken for granted. Whether buying a car from a reputable garage or part of a private agreement, it is imperative that the registration process is completed in full.

For your convenience we have compiled a step-by-step guide to registering your vehicle with the DVLA.

What is Vehicle Registration?

Every vehicle, once registered, will receive a unique registration number. Upon receipt of your details and those of the vehicle, the DVLA will then issue a V5C (Log Book) as confirmation of registration.

The V5C (Log Book) is your and the DVLA’s way of closely monitoring vehicle ownership and history. That means if the vehicle receives modification which may alter its taxation classification or it has been exported, transferred or scrapped, the V5C will have to be updated accordingly. The AA have written an in-depth guide to the logbook which you can find here, which goes into the history of the V5C and how the new look version is different from its predecessors.

The DVLA will typically send your V5C within 3-weeks of registration, therefore if you have not received it within this period it is essential to contact the DVLA customer service team. Alternatively, the DVLA’s helplines are open from 8am until 7pm Monday to Friday and from 8am until 2pm on a Saturday.

Applying for a Replacement V5C (Log Book)

There are many reasons a replacement V5C may be needed, for example if it is damaged, lost, stolen, destroyed or if you have not yet received a V5C Log Book following initial registration. Replacement V5C’s can be applied for by phone, however there is criteria which needs to be adhered to including:

  • You were registered as the keeper on the original V5C
  • Your name, address & vehicle details have remained unchanged
  • You have a credit/debit card ready to make the £25 payment

The place where you can apply online is on the official government website here.

Applying by post

Application via post requires the filling in of form V62, which can be downloaded here. This will need to be printed out and filled in correctly, otherwise the application may be rejected. If sending your application by post please send all relevant V62 documents and the £25 fee to:

SA99 1DD

Please note that if you are awaiting the initial V5C you may not have to pay the £25 fee, however the V62 and V5C/2 documents must always be sent.

If you believe that any details in your V5C are incorrect please contact the DVLA by writing to:

SA99 1BA

If none of the above properly explains the information that you need to know about vehicle registration, it is worth contacting the DVLA directly. If you have any general enquiries regarding your vehicle registration their customer service teams are available from:

  • 8am until 7pm on a Monday to Friday
  • 8am until 2pm on a Saturday


  • 0

Personalised Registration Plates

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

Personalised number plates, also known as vanity plates must adhere to DVLA certification – no obscenities or offensive words are allowed and specific number & lettering combinations always apply. Despite the private sale of number plates being allowed, there are stringent rules which have to be met. Although there are private sellers who circulate vanity plates, it is important to ensure that they are reputable DVLA dealers.

Plates purchased via private sale must come with either a V750 Certificate of Entitlement or a V778 Certificate of Retention.

Purchasing a Personalised Number Plate

Personalised number plates can be purchased from the DVLA online or at auction. It is important to note that personalised plates can only be used on registered vehicles or vehicles about to be registered, taxed and used within the UK.

Amendments to number plates, which make a vehicle appear newer than it is, are strictly forbidden. Purchasing a personalised number plate gives you the right to assign a number to a vehicle either in your name or an official nominee.

Exclusive plates can typically be purchased from auction, which are generally held every six months. Bidding is usually placed in person, by phone, online or in writing – reserve prices tend to begin at £130.

To have a look at the available registration plates and even purchase your own, visit the official DVLA registration site.

Updating your Vanity Plate Certification

Renewal of your personalised number plate V750 certification costs £25 per year, the addition or alteration of a nominee also costs £25, however replacement certificates can usually be issued without charge.

Payment of V750 Certification Renewal

Renewal of your V750 certification must be made by post – all relevant V750 documentation and wither a cheque or postal order (payable to DVLA Swansea) to value of £25 must also be Personalised reg plateincluded. Certificate name changes require the purchaser to return the documentation to the DVLA along with a letter and any supporting material.

Mistakes made on V750 certification must be rectified by sending all details directly to the DVLA, along with a letter of explanation.

Duplicate certificates can be issued on request – please allow approximately 3 to 4 weeks for arrival.

Death of a Purchaser

In the event of the death of a purchaser there are two options available:

  1. The registration details can be transferred to an alternative name
  2. Registration can be given up and an £80 assignment fee refunded

Any further questions about personalised registration plates are answered in this handy government written FAQ. There is also an overview on the government website which offers a complete overview of the process, as well as links to the relevant forms that you may need to fill out.

Contacting the DVLA about personalised registration plates

Please send any relevant correspondence to:

DVLA Personalised Registrations
SA99 1DS

You can contact the DVLA online at any time also – once online you will also discover a wealth of information at your fingertips. The DVLA’s Customer Service Team is on hand to assist with your queries from 8am until 4.30pm on a Monday to Friday.

  • 0

Pass Plus

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

So what exactly is Pass Plus? As the name suggests, this is an extra element to the regular vehicle driving and theory test, designed to boost overall safety and skills whilst on the road. Taking around 6 hours to complete and despite being open to all who have passed the DVLA driving test, it is most beneficial for those who have recently passed. There are 6 modules within the Pass Plus course which comprise:

  • Driving in & around your local town
  • Night time driving
  • Motorway driving
  • All-weather driving
  • Driving on rural roads
  • Driving on a dual carriageway

Successful completion of a DVSA Pass Plus course can not only increase on-road confidence it can significantly decrease insurance costs – any such reductions will require the presentation Pass Plus certification. Passed your Pass Plus but don’t currently have a car? Some insurance companies will honour your Pass Plus discount for up to 2 years, however this depends on the individual insurer.

How to apply for Pass Plus

Taking lessons from a Pass Plus (ADI) registered instructor is essential – the DVSA has a list of reputable Pass Plus instructors. You can also find a comprehensive list of Pass Plus qualified instructors from across the UK here. Application for your Pass Plus course requires the name and ADI number of your designated tutor.

Paying for Pass Plus

The cost of Pass Plus courses vary depending upon location, the instructor and how long it takes you to complete the training. Certain councils offer a discounted rate for Pass Plus, therefore Pass Plusresearch is advisable prior to booking your course. Living in the actual borough offering discount is a prerequisite if you are to receive any cost decrease.

For your convenience we have compiled a list of local county councils known to have offered Pass Plus reductions.

  • East Midlands: Derby County Council, Lincolnshire County Council and Rutland County Council
  • North West: Cheshire West & Chester Council and Cumbria
  • South East: Hampshire County Council and Kent County Council
  • South West: Wiltshire County Council
  • West Midlands: Staffordshire County Council
  • Scotland: Argyll & Bute Council, Fife Council, Highland Council, South Lanarkshire Council and West Dunbartonshire Community Safety
  • Wales: All councils in Wales typically offer a reduction in price for the Pass Plus Scheme

A full overview of the Pass Plus scheme can be found on the official government website here. There is also a comprehensive history of the scheme here.

Contacting the DVSA’s Pass Plus Team

If you can’t find what you are looking for online why not email your specific query via Alternatively you can call the DVSA customer services team between 9am and 4pm on a Monday to Friday.

  • 0


This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

As the main point of contact for arguably one of the main branches of the UK government, the DVLA contact number is needed by people attempting to dial the organisation. There are a wide range of reasons why people need to call the DVLA helpline – and this reflects the fact that it is one of the largest and most far-reaching organisations in Britain.

Some of the most regular reasons why people call the DVLA are listed on this site, but can largely be boiled down to the following:

If your problem fits into any of the above categories, the DVLA helpline team will be able to help you with one of their dedicated UK call centres teams being able to address the matter quickly. However, if your matter isn’t listed above, their staff are able to manage almost any question relating to driver, vehicles and roads. Given the volume of people calling the DVLA number each day, they are experienced in dealing with almost any question that comes their way.

What is the DVLA contact number team responsible for?

The DVLA’s helpline mirrors that of the wider organisation that it represents. In that way, the contact number is the customer-facing part of the agency. The vast majority of their role includes the DVLA phone numbermonitoring, maintaining and amendment of records of drivers across the UK. They also deal with applications for new driver’s licences, the booking of theory tests and other smaller schemes, such as the blue badge project.

A lot of what the DVLA phone team used to do is now gradually being supplemented by their online web support channels – but this is still secondary in terms of the amount of assistance that people are afforded via the web. Instead, drivers are sometimes directed towards towards the DVLA website in order to look at one of the FAQs, or to add more information around a caller’s query. The website also homes a lot of different forms – such as provisional driver’s licence application form – that can be downloaded, printed off and sent in. Obviously, this is much more speedy than waiting for a form to be sent to you.

Wider DVLA services

The DVLA has long been attempting to add to their helpline number by offering services both physically and electronically. For example, since 2004 they have pioneered the Electronic Vehicle Licensing scheme, allowing people to pay for their road tax and car tax over the phone and via the DVLA website. This is aided by the fact that many of the DVLA’s services can be managed through any Post Office in the UK. More information about that side of things can be found here.

Also, in addition to normal driving licenses, the DVLA are also responsible for LGV and HGV licences, the Pass Plus scheme and Blue Badges. Essentially, anything that relates to driving – including penalty points on a personal licence – is managed and administered through the DVLA  and the DVLA contact number.

What about local DVLA offices?

As part of government cutbacks following the financial crisis of 2008, the DVLA opted to close almost all of their local offices in 2013 – and have since relocated exclusively to Swansea. While this has saved money, some may argue it has left a disconnect between British drivers and the organisation. Despite being widely publicised at the time, their are many people who still search for their local DVLA contact number – but all past enquiries lines are now simply directed through to the head office.

The DVLA themselves argue that these local branches were unnecessary – and the fact that the agency has managed to maintain the same level of operations as before but at a much lower cost to the Uk taxpayer is justification for this. It has been reported elsewhere that the organisation does have call centres across the country – but the majority of calls from drivers to the DVLA contact number are still directed through to their helpline staff in Swansea.

  • 0

Driving with a medical condition

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

If you have a driving licence it is essential to report all notifiable medical conditions to the DVLA. Notifiable conditions include anything which could affect your ability to drive safely such as any of the following.

  • Epilepsy
  • Stroke
  • Visual Impairments
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Neurological & Mental Health Conditions

What happens if you do not inform the DVLA? Failure to declare a relevant condition could result in a fine of up to £1000 and possible prosecution. You can find out if your condition is covered by seeing if it is included on the list on this list from the DVLA website.

Informing the DVLA of a medical condition

Whether you have developed a new condition or have an existing condition which has worsened, it is vital to inform the DVLA as soon as possible – easily done by phone, email or post. DVLA Medical condition drivingCustomer Service helplines are available to answer any medical queries from 8am until 5.30pm on a Monday to Friday and from 8am until 1pm on a Saturday.

If notifying the DVLA via post, please mail any correspondence to:

Drivers Medical Enquiries
SA99 1TU

Remember, you can also contact the DVLA by email – simply log onto to access a short online enquiry form.

Which health conditions are notifiable?

The DVLA has specific forms and questionnaires for certain medical conditions, therefore it is essential to have the correct documentation – this can be obtained from the DVLA website here.

Surrendering your Driving Licence

If advised by your GP to stop driving due to a medical condition it is imperative that you surrender your driving licence to the DVLA. Likewise if you do not meet the DVLA’s ‘required standards for driving’ you may be asked to surrender your licence. Surrendering your licence on a voluntary basis could result in you being able to start driving again sooner. Driving cannot be resumed until the DVLA gives the instruction to do so.

Reapplying for a Driving Licence

If you have had to surrender your driving licence on medical grounds but you (& your GP) feel that you are now able to drive again safely, you will need to reapply for a fresh driving licence.

If your licence has been surrendered, revoked or refused, the DVLA will typically write to you stating the period of time needed before you are able to reapply – application can generally take place up to 8 weeks before the end of the designated period.

Documentation needed

Reapplying for a car licence or motorcycle licence requires a D1 pack – containing all relevant application material. Reapplication for a bus, coach or lorry licence requires a D2 pack – containing relevant application material. Please note, if you are aged 45-65yrs, you will also need to complete a D4 form. All forms can be easily downloaded via the DVLA website

Completed applications must be posted or faxed to the following address:

SA99 1TU

  • 0

Driving points & fines

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

If you are unfortunate enough to receive driving points or a fine it is important to be aware that they are issued by the police and not the DVLA. Depending on the severity of the situation you may be asked to hand over your driving licence to the police, a fixed penalty department or even the courts.

How to Avoid Points

Depending upon the offense, many police authorities offer ‘awareness courses’ as an alternative to driving points – these are also designed to raise driver awareness and prevent future failings. No Driving ticketadditional points means that you also do not run the risk of increased car insurance due to driving mistakes.

Awareness courses must be arranged by police referral and there is typically a charge attached. Driving Awareness courses include:

  • Speeding
  • Red Traffic Lights
  • Mobile Phones
  • Driver Improvement
  • Drink Driver Rehabilitation

Please note that courses can only be attended once every 3 years.

Point Duration – when are they removed?

The duration of penalty points or endorsement codes depend on the actual offence but can typically last between 4 and 11 years. For example, speeding points remain for at least 4 years following the actual date of the offence.

New Drivers

If you are a new driver and receive 6 points or more within the first 2 years of driving, your driving licence is likely to be revoked. Obtaining a new licence requires the application and purchase of a new provisional licence. The completion of a theory and practical test will be needed before a full licence is re-issued.

Common Driving Offences

Although there are various reasons for the issue of driving points and fines, there are many common offences. These include:

  • Speeding, driving whilst under the influence of alcohol
  • Failure to stop following an accident
  • Failure to produce required documents
  • Driving without due care or attention
  • Death by dangerous driving
  • Speeding
  • Failure to provide a specimen of breath

These are just some of the reasons you may find yourself in receipt of driving points or fines – of course the fees for such behaviour naturally varies. You can find out more about the legal view of how driving offences are seen here.

Drink Driving

Are you aware that drink driving can result in imprisonment of up to 14 years? In addition, fines can reach as much as £5000 – depending upon the severity of the situation. Full details can be found at the Think! website here or by calling the DVLA Customer Service team – helplines are available from 8am until 4.30pm on a Monday to Friday.

Paying Court Fines

Court fines can be paid online by debit or credit card via the ‘Court Fine Service’ found here please have your ‘Notice of Fine’ documentation to hand. Payment of court fines is also possible via telephone throughout England and Wales – a debit or credit card is required, along with ‘Notice of Fine’ documentation.  

Driving Disqualifications

Accumulating more than 12 penalty points within a 3-year time-frame typically results in driver disqualification. Conviction of a driving offence can also lead to disqualification. It is up to the court to decide upon the duration of the overall ban – however, if banned for more than 56 days, a new drivers licence must be applied for.

  • 0

DVLA complaints procedure

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

As with all government organisations, making a complaint about the DVLA is a relatively straightforward process. Unlike most private companies, any taxpayer funded branch is obliged to make the entire process and transparent and accessible as possible. However, this goes both ways – with any complaint procedure being highly regulated. Here, you can find out how to make a DVLA complaint in the correct way, as well as finding out what are the further options should they rule against you.

How to make a complaint about the DVLA

Any complaint about the DVLA should first be directed to the department that you have been dealing with via their contact number. One of the most complained about sections of the branch is believed to be the SORN division, for example. If you have been sent any correspondence on the matter that you are raising with the agency, it should also detail on there the precise team that you have been dealing with.

When you call the DVLA contact number to make a complaint, it is important to have the right information to hand, otherwise they may not be able to action your complaint immediately. These include (but are not restricted to):

  • Your full name
  • Your registered address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your driver number (if you have one. If yours is lost, you will need to order a replacement here)
  • Your vehicle registration number, along with your vehicle’s make and model (if you have one)

Once they have taken this information and the details of your complaint, they should be able to immediately assess whether you have a right to feel aggrieved. In some cases, they may ask for time to investigate further, and specify a time at which they will call back. However, this course of action is relatively rare, due to the time constraints of DVLA call centres employees.

If it is felt that you have a right to have you complaint upheld, the member of staff that you are speaking to will be able to detail exactly what steps will be taken next. If your issue is not considered worthy of a complaint or you feel that they are not taking the correct next steps to make amends, the next step is to make a formal, written complaint.

Making a formal complaint about the DVLA

If the helpline have been unable to help you in your complaint, the next step is to put your issue in writing and direct it to the Customer Complaint Resolution Team (CCRT). This is the division of the DVLA that deals exclusively with problems that drivers have experienced with the agency, and are experts at assessing whether the organisation has broken their code of conduct in any way.

The CCRT can either be contacted through the official DVLA website via their online e-mail service, or by post. Either way, they aim to respond with 2 weeks of receiving any complaint, and this can either be to say that your case has been rejected, to describe the resolution that they have decided upon or to tell of further investigations that are being made. If you wish contact the CCRT via post, their address is:

D16 W

Responses are normally made via post, but are occasionally done over the phone or by e-mail – please note your favoured method of communication in your written complaint.

Escalating your complaint further

If the CCRT do not provide an adequate response to your complaint, the next step is to send it to the DVLA Chief Executive for review. Again, the Chief Executive will need full details of your issue, as well as an explanation as to why you feel that the previous methods of raising your complaint have not been sufficient. They can also be contacted via the DVLA website, or through the post at the following address:

Chief Executive’s Office

Referral to an Independent Complaints Assessor

Acting almost as an ombudsman for the DVLA, the Department for Transport’s Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA) is one of the final steps that can be taken in a complaint. Upon the final review of your complaint to the Chief Executive, there should be information about how you can do this. It is important to note that this course of action cannot be taken without the preceding step.

DVLA-complaints-procedureContact your Member of Parliament

Finally, if all of the above methods have not given the necessary recourse, you can write to your local Member of Parliament (MP) for them to contact the DVLA complaints team on your behalf, or to refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) who may be able to investigate. Please note that both of these methods are only recommended in the most extreme of circumstances, and for minor issues it is unlikely that they will look into the matter. You can find out your MP and their contact details here.

Further information about the Department for Transport’s wider complaints procedures can be found here.

Need More Help? Get in touch with the DVLA through our call connection number for more help and advice