This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website, including DVLA and DVSA. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.
It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on Facebook

Need help or advice about registering a vehicle? Could our SORN call connection number

click to call

We are in no way affiliated with DVLA, DVSA or SORN, and offer a call connection service as well as practical advice about SORN.

SORN stands for the ‘Statutory Off-Road Notification’ of a vehicle, meaning one which is kept within a garage, on a drive or private land and is not used on public roads.

Applying for a SORN online

Online SORN application can be done via and requires some basic information including some of the following.

The 16 digit reference number on your V11 vehicle tax renewal letter. Please note, if you do not have a V11 reminder letter to hand, relevant details can be found on your vehicle registration certificate. In addition, the 11 digit log book (V5C) reference number is also required when applying online.

New Vehicle Keeper?

If you are a new vehicle keeper it is important to note that the SORN application process requires a V890 form – details of which can be found at

SORNRegistering a SORN by post

Applications for SORN must be made by post if:

  • You are a new keeper & have received a V5C registration certificate within the past month
  • If you are not yet registered as the vehicle’s keeper

It is useful to know that if travelling abroad, SORN application can be made up to two calendar months in advance – registration requires a V890 form and a letter of explanation.

SORN Fines

Not registering for a SORN can result in a penalty in the form of a fine. If you have received such a notice and would like to know what to do next why not email the DVLA? Simply click onto and follow the email options. Remember you can also enquire by telephone between the hours of 8am and 7pm on a Monday to Friday and from 8am and 2pm on a Saturday.

Contacting the DVLA SORN team

If you need to get in touch with the SORN contact team, you can do so through a variety of different methods in addition to their phone number. For postal correspondence, you can send letters to the following address:

SA99 1AR

If you wish to make a general enquiry, you can write to the DVLA via the following address:

Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team

Calling to register a SORN

It is also possible to register for a SORN via phone or textphone, lines are open from 8am until 7pm Monday to Friday and from 8am until 2pm on a Saturday.

Are you aware that you can email the DVLA in response to a SORN confirmation letter, to ascertain information regarding SORN fines, to register a SORN or to make any general SORN enquiries? To send your email please visit, alternatively to speak to a member of the DVLA team please call the contact number provided between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday or from 8am until 2pm on a Saturday.

It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on Facebook



February 16, 2015at 9:34 am

My um has dementia and is no longer driving. Her car is parked in the garage as she refuses to part with it. I don’t have the log book details – how can I make a sorn please?


    DVLA Advisor

    February 16, 2015at 10:18 am

    Hi Carol

    You should be able to make a SORN without log book details as long as you have the 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11) through this link.

    Hope all is well


March 2, 2015at 11:02 am

Elderly relative not driving anymore. Car remains in garage

Insurance has just lapsed

Cant find the registration document although its probably in the house somewhere.

Tax runs out in June.

We must SORN but cant. How do we SORN without either tax renewal or registration document?

This must be a common problem for elderly.

How do we obey the rules?

Leave a Reply

Need More Help? Get in touch with the DVLA through our call connection number for more help and advice